For nearly the entire month of September I had a very sore shoulder. I over did it while crocheting a planned pooling blanket. It was going to be a full on blanket rather than an afghan but now I’m not so sure. The point at which I had to stop is not afghan width. For now it will remain on hold. I’m not risking my other
I had to stop doing everything. I went to get deep tissue massage and that would not work for very long. A friend recommend acupuncture because she had something similar happen to her (but she let it go and it was worse for her). So I had five treatments of acupuncture and cupping and now I only have a slight issue with my shoulder. I’ve had to readjust my thinking a little and take frequent breaks or not do any handwork at all. I’m not doing any crochet. I have been able to get back to stitching and knitting. I move my shoulders less so it doesn’t aggravate me.
So I picked a little project that I’ve had the pattern in my stash for a while now: A Crossed Wing Christmas . Two Tiny Cardinals on Evergreen Tree on 36 count linen. I used a single strand of Glissen Gloss on the snow and a single strand of DMC Metallic 321 on the tree hearts and bows.
I bought the Snowdrop Collection from Faby Reilly, which consists of a Needlebook, Scissor Case and Biscornu.
The patterns call for 32ct antique white but the linen options are not great in my city (Halifax, NS) so I raided my stash and found this 32ct linen by Hand Dyed Fabrics by Stephanie. I think the colour is Snowdrifts. The only thing I’m missing for finishing is the felt for the needlebook. I really like how the stitching looks on this linen.
All the stitching is done on Full Bloom. I’ve assembled it and now I have to get a frame for it. I really like it. I needed the needle painting practice in advance of my EAC Seminar class in a couple of weeks.
I’m taking Alison Cole’s Siennese Illuminated Treasure and Kathryn Drummond’s Bluebells. It will be this year’s “fancy” vacation. All together I will have three days of free time. Naturally I’ll be going to the ROM, the Bata Shoe Museum and the Textile Museum of Canada. Other touristy stuff as well but right now I’m just playing it by ear.
Before, during and after stitching I’ve been comparing what I am attempting with the original. Since I am a beginner I just want to see if I can shape the tambour lines in a similar way. So far so good. I’ve noticed that I snag a lot less frequently than a week ago; I’m moving faster as well. In my current practice flowers I have been carrying the thread behind the fabric back to the starting point rather than turning the line of stitches. I was viewing Mary’s Reticule yesterday for nearly 2 hours with Lisa and we determined that Mary had turned her lines. We were also refining the colour choices for the flowers and their greenery. Mary’s Reticule has such fine, tiny stitches that by the end of the 2 hours I had a headache. In some places it was easy to decide on a colour and in others time had faded the colour so badly that it was difficult to know.
I have totally been cheating by turning my frame…that is something I have to work on not doing. Up to this point I’ve been interested in getting familiar with the hand motions involved with the Tambour hook. Now I am onto not turning the frame and turning corners.
I saw this pattern on Elizabeth Almond’s site Blackwork Journey (it’s a freebie) and decided to work on it since I already have the fabric and threads. It’s a total of 36 small patterns released in blocks of 6 at a time. March is the first release of six patterns. I did the border outline for the full 36 patterns and am doing them in colour. I have a bunch of Weeks Dye Works, old Needle Necessities and other various over dyed threads in my stash so I am going to use those. Now when each block is released I can have a little mini vacation from whatever I happen to be working on at the time.
I got a notification that I have been blogging for 7 years. I thought “cool” I’ll go look at my first post. The pictures are no longer there. Seems that pictures from 2007 to early April 2008 are no longer there. They aren’t in my media library. I knew that had happened to my page about EAC courses but I didn’t realize it was an issue with my old posts as well. I’ll have to go through my pictures and fix everything. I don’t know when I’ll get around to it because I’d rather be stitching.