Finished Retirement Present

All the stitching is done on Full Bloom.  I’ve assembled it and now I have to get a frame for it.  I really like it.  I needed the needle painting practice in advance of my EAC Seminar class in a couple of weeks.  

I’m taking Alison Cole’s Siennese Illuminated Treasure  and Kathryn Drummond’s Bluebells.  It will be this year’s “fancy” vacation.  All together I will have three days of free time.  Naturally I’ll be going to the ROM, the Bata Shoe Museum and the Textile Museum of Canada.  Other touristy stuff as well but right now I’m just playing it by ear.

Mary’s Reticule Progress and a Rose

My goal was to have this reticule finished by the time I went to the EAC Seminar “Inspiring Threads”. With less than a month to go I can say that I’ll have the embroidery done for sure but not that I’ll have the reticule seen together.  

I have the vine pattern on all four panels complete, one the of panels completed and a second close behind.  

I also have to finish a retirement gift for my co-worker by the end of May.  I’m stitching a stump work Rose from Inspirations Magazine Issue 85 called: Full Bloom by Susan Porter.  I started on the leaves over the weekend.

  
   
    
 

Hint of Spring

My stitching guild is without a program coordinator this season coming up so as President I have to cobble together a few things.  There has been interest in doing Stumpwork…so I scoured my fave magazine (Inspirations) for something small and straightforward.  I landed on “Hint of Spring” by Jane Nicholas in Issue 77.  Naturally I don’t have access to all the specific materials so I subbed with whatever is available in my area.  I really enjoyed working on it and hopefully I can get permission from the magazine to make enough copies for our guild.  We have used Inspirations as a source for a couple of meeting programs in the past.

I practised making the petals for a couple of evenings before actually doing petals that I would use in the piece.    I can now do blanket stitch fairly well and consistently.  I used a super fine marker to trace the design and I taped the tracing paper to the underside of the fabric and put my iPhone underneath with the flashlight function turned on.  It worked great for tracing the tiny pattern.

The stems are done in Stem stitch so I rifled through my various books to make sure I was doing that properly.  The bumblebee is done in turkey work (Ghirodes Knot).  I’m not sure I did it right…the area to work in was really small so I approximated and it turned out fluffy.  I think it needs a little more of a trim but I am happy with my puffy bee.  I don’t have a more recent picture…I’ve since added the wings.  There are of course things I would do differently or advise the group to look out for but I am satisfied with the work.

photo 1 (2) photo 1 photo 3 (2) photo 3 photo 4 photo 5