I’ve been working on tambour embroidery every day for over a month now. I am satisfied that I can now tackle the reticule reproduction. Initially I would turn the frame to do a shape…now I don’t. I was using a needle to plunge thread and help me turn…now I use the tambour needle. I have better and more consistent tension than before…to begin with I was pulling too tight. My stitches are more uniform as well. I’m pleased that the work I’ve put into learning is paying off.
I’ll be starting on the real thing in a month. The fabric is ordered and I’m picking it up today. Now to figure out which pattern transfer method to do. I’m leaning towards prick and pounce because that is historically accurate and because I don’t like using pencil on this type of project. I find the lead gets on the threads. I only know how to do prick and pounce in theory…we’ll see what happens.
I have to kit 11 reticules. So it’s a little important to determine the lengths required of either DMC Floss or silk. I had a scrap of fabric (muslin I think) and tacked it onto a frame. It isn’t the final shape of the vine border, I’ve made some changes after having seen the actual reticule in person again. This shape suits my purposes though. I measured the floss required for stitching the border and then decided to put a flower inside and start on that. I’m also keeping track of the floss I’m using on the Rose.
The guild I belong to, Town Clock Stitchers of Halifax, put on an exhibit at the Scott Manor House in Bedford this past week. Since I work during the week I volunteered my time on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I was very impressed by the exhibit this year, so many of the pieces that members put on display were sparkly this year (my fave kind). J did an amazing job of organizing and setting up the exhibit for us. The work was set up to emphasize learning. We had a table dedicated to the group work that members have done.
Starting with our “Welcome” table which we set our fund raiser on, and guest book.
I’ll go around the room, the next thing that a guest would see is the table and wall that all of the Crewel embroidery was set up on.
This one of a kind Crewel Embroidery pieces was designed and stitched by JB.
Next was the cross stitch, petit point wall and our EAC table.
The Rose of Sharon and Morning Song were stitched by me.
Our EAC table underneath the cross stitch consists of many of the correspondance courses that the Embrodierers’ Association of Canada offers. (Casalguidi, Schwalm, Deerfield, Blackwork, Crewel, pulled work, drawn thread, Richelieuand hardanger – I might be missing one or two).
Next is the display case which houses several unframed pieces, some smaller items that have been finished into ornaments, or purses, stuff like that:
The last portion of the room was the canvas work wall and the table with the items that have been finished into pillows. I was most distracted 😉 by the canvas work wall since I have been planning on tackeling this type of needlework in the fall.
It’s not a close up picture, and you don’t get the full effect because everything was so sparkly.
This is the third year the TCS have hosted an exhibit at Scott Manor House and it is a great way for members and guests to see all kinds of different work. Members bring in their WIPs and smaller framed pieces to meetings for show and tell, but its not the same as seeing so many things in one place (I think there were about 130 pieces in the exhibit).